Mar 15, 2018

Ouidia's Peach Salad - A Sister Weaver Collection Recipe



While I'm sipping on my sacrilegious, because it's not sweet tea, and typing this we are expecting a warming trend here in the 70° range. This has prompted me to start looking for recipes that won't make me wanna die this summer. After 5 years in PA, I love these temps! It's just before what my body now considers summer (temps between 80° and low 90°s). As a result my unacclimated hiney is going to enjoy what little bit of what passes for spring here with windows and doors wide open. At any rate, it's prompted me to look through her collection for summer foods that can beat the heat. There I found this sweet little retro gelatine dessert.  This admittingly, is in the 'do I reeeeally want to try this' category, but not so scary that I would feel bad about waste if it did flop. The buttermilk did make me pause, but I really needed to use up the other half of the huge tub of whipped topping before I, or one of the kids ate it. (Admit it, you do it too.) The biggest difficulties I faced were finding peach flavored gelatine and the way it looked. (It looked like a pastel peachy rice pudding.) Fortunately, I found the gelatine tucked away in a corner in Wal-Mart (I used the Great Value brand.) and I kept in mind that some of my favorite foods are ugly. (Escargot, however tasty is NOT pretty.) This little throwback recipe was really good and I think a great place to start if you want to explore retro recipes. I know we enjoyed it.




Peach Salad

Warm 1 Can Crushed Pineapple (Not drain)
Dissolve one large package Peach Jelo in this,
Add 1 lg, Cool Whip + 2 Cup buttermilk.
Chill till firm
Ouidia 

Notes:
I used a 14 oz. can of crushed pineapple, 2 regular sized boxed of the peach gelatine, half of the 1 lb. whipped topping tub, and full-fat buttermilk. 

I warmed the pineapple with the juice and a little more than quarter of a can of water added( it didn't seem like quite enough liquid) over a med stove before adding the gelatine and other ingredients. 











No comments:

Post a Comment