Mar 12, 2018

Corn Pudding - Remembering Sister Weaver

Sister Jones

This is the second recipe I've made from the bag of recipes I received from Sister Weaver all those years ago. If you want to know more about how I ended up with the bag you can read about it in my blueberry pie post, here. This recipe from her collection is for corn pudding and is credited to Sister Jones. I don't know Sister Jones personally, but I do know she can cook!

First I have to apologize for not having a picture of the final product...........we kinda ate it before I remembered to get one. Fingers crossed that you take that as proof it was amazing. Everyone here loved it, including my cream corn haters. Many of the recipes I've made (that I'll be posting soon) have surprised me. None of them are difficult, but a few are in that retro "do we reeeeally want to try this" category. This was one of them. I don't know if it's supposed to be dessert or side dish so I guessed and it was part of our meal. I will double the recipe next time as there just wasn't enough for the 5 of us eating.

(Please remember I am having to use a cheap camera right now, and that when I write the recipes here I am writing them as written. I feel it's important to remember that some of these women had limited education, but still managed to find time to not only provide for their families but to share their abundance and their recipes with God's family as well.)

Corn Pudding"

2 Eggs                                                                   1 Cup Milk (Not quiet full
1 tb flour                                                               1 tb Vanilla
3 tb Butter                                                             1 Can 16 oz cream corn
1/2 Cup Sugar
Mix All ingredients, except corn. Blend Well, Add corn, pour into a greased baking dish,
Pr Heat oven Bake 320 for 40 mins

*Notes:

I made this with large eggs and real butter. Since the recipe didn't call for the butter to be melted I just used it at (almost) room temperature. I quite literally just dumped it all into a mixing bowl, adding the cream corn last. Then poured it into the greased pan and baked until the edges started to  slightly brown. In my oven, it wasn't quite the 40 minutes called for.

This was very sweet and had a very distinct vanilla taste which went surprisingly well with the corn flavor. I used an 11x7 inch baking dish. It probably would have done better in an 8x8 square brownie pan, as it was quite thin. I'd definitely double the recipe if you want more than 4 good sized servings.



2 comments:

  1. Hey, my old recipe calls for 2 chubs frozen cream corn and 10 oz bag of frozen corn put through the food processor-while it's frozen. 6 eggs, 1/2 cup milk, 1/4 cup sugar, 2tbs flour and salt and pepper. 325 for an hour. Yummy. Jan C.

    ReplyDelete