May 10, 2018

Edna Johnson's Cornbread Dressing with Chicken on Top - A Sister Weaver's Collection Recipe



I made this few weeks ago while the weather was cool and it will be definitely be returning to our table later in the year, but with a few changes. The chicken was a little dry,(which I expected in all honesty) not bad enough that the kids noticed, but enough that I will be tweaking the recipe a little. Where it said to put the chicken on top I'll push it in to keep it from drying out and cover with foil. However, I wanted to stay true to what was written because there are sooooo many things in some of these recipes that are just alien to me. It sure is fun seeing how differently women fed their families and their brothers and sisters in Christ just a few decades ago. I've gone through and picked a few recipes that I will be making very soon that are summer heat friendly. Enjoy!

Cornbread Dressing with Chicken on Top
Edna Johnson
In salted Water
Boil 1 fryer + debone Save broth
Cornbread (note here to say the ingredients for it follow)
2 Cup meal 1 tsp soda 1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar 2 cups buttermilk 1 egg
1 tbsp Oil
Bake in 9 inch pan in 450 oven
         dressing
Crumbled cornbread. Toast 4 slices bread Crumble Crisps Toast dry 3/4 pkg. pepperidge Farm dressing Mix (Blue lable) Medium Onion Chopped 3 stalk Celery Chopped 6 Boiled eggs chopped Saute Celery + onion in a bit olio + mix All, Adding eggs eggs last, then add Chicken broth + Salt + pepper to taste. put Chicken on Top, Bake 45 min in 350 oven.

I put just enough water to cover the 4 lb. the chicken I had and used the broth from it. I used her cornbread recipe, cooking it in my cast iron skillet, buttered the way I normally would. I had absolutely no leftovers from the recipe, so I repeat it is good, just remember to at least cover the chicken or to push it into the dressing a bit better than I did, or mix it in completely to keep it from drying out. I will also probably make a chicken gravy to serve with it and a side of steamed broccoli and roasted root veggies and iced tea sure do sound good!


*It's been brought to my attention that the directions are less than clear. The cornmeal is regular cornmeal, not the self-rising but if that is what you have just omit the soda and salt. Pepperidge Farm is a brand name and the product called for here is their bread stuffing that's in the bag with the blue label. Olio is an old school term for margarine. The closest thing I can find to what I've seen used in the past is something called Country Patties Vegetable Spread. I am sorry I didn't include the clarifications earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment